Transitioning your baby from breast to bottle feeding is quite tricky, so making the transition as smooth as possible is crucial. On paper, selecting a baby bottle sounds easy until you are faced with the choice of glass or plastic bottles? We have outlined the differences between glass and plastic bottles and the pros and cons of each to help you out.
Find out more in this article, including our favorite baby bottles today.
Glass Bottles: Advantage & Disadvantages
In time past, glass bottles were considered unsafe because of the risk of them breaking and hurting the baby. These days, however, glass bottles are made of specially tempered glass that does not break easily. On the off chance that these bottles break, they form small pebbles instead of the sharp glass shards that could hurt your little one.
Let’s not get too ahead of ourselves. Below, we will explore the pros and cons of glass baby bottles.
Chemical and Toxin Free
Your little one’s bottle is an essential aspect of your baby’s care; thus, it is essential to consider its safety. Unlike plastics, glass bottles are 100% natural and free from harmful chemicals and toxins. When you pick a glass bottle, you can be sure that toxins like BPA, Phthalates, and PVC are not leaching their way into your baby’s milk.
Stain and Odour Resistant
Glass bottles do not pick up or retain odors and colors like plastic bottles. So, you can be sure that your baby is getting unflavored milk and nothing else.
It Has A Longer Life Span and is Recyclable
Glass baby bottles last longer than plastic bottles, provided correctly handled. The longevity of glass bottles makes for a slightly higher cost; you can use them for years. Since glass is made from materials found naturally in nature, it can easily be recycled or reused. This is a plus for eco-conscious parents.
Durable and Easy to Clean
Unlike plastic bottles, glass baby bottles pick up fewer scratches. Thus, it is easier to detect when they are dirty. Glass bottles are also far ahead of plastic bottles when it comes to durability because they can withstand high temperatures. Thus, you can sterilize your glass bottles in steam sterilizers and boil them.
Retain Its Shape
Glass bottles are very resilient and retain their shape in harsh conditions. You will find that glass bottles do not become mishappen when subjected to heat, unlike some plastic baby bottles.
Glass Bottles Weigh More
Most people complain about the weight of glass bottles. The extra weight means the bottle is tougher and more durable. However, it also means you have to contend with a heavier baby bag during your runs. Add that to the ever-increasing weight of your growing baby, and it may be a bit too much for you to manage.
Glass Baby Bottles are More Expensive
With glass bottles, the higher quality translates to extra cost. Looking at the cost of the bottle alone, you may get discouraged. However, consider it to be an investment, especially as the bottle has the propensity to outlast your baby’s sucking phase.
Plastic Bottles: Advantage & Disadvantages
You will find more plastic bottles in stores today for several reasons. Plastic bottles made after 2012 are safe for babies because they do not contain harmful chemicals like BPA and PVC. Thus, you needn’t worry your head so much about the quality of the bottle.
In subsequent sections, we shall explore the pros and cons of plastic bottles. Let’s get down to it, shall we?
Plastic bottles are readily available in retail stores across the globe. Perhaps, this is one of the reasons why they are so much cheaper than glass baby bottles.
Another upside of plastic bottles is that they are lightweight and unbreakable. Thanks to this, they are the practical choice for baby bottles. You can take them out of the house without them shattering on the asphalt.
Plastic baby bottles are less expensive than glass bottles because they are less expensive. Of course, the fact that the raw materials needed are also readily available has a part to play.
Gets Dented Easily
Unlike glass baby bottles, plastic bottles get scratched and dented easily. These scratches impact the clarity of the bottle, thus making cleaning harder. So you will need to change the bottles more often than glass bottles. The scratches on the bottle also serve as a breeding ground for bacteria.
Plastic bottles are not as durable as their glass counterpart. They tend to become mishappen and need to be changed.
Plastic bottles cannot withstand high temperatures and are not suited for the cold temperatures of the freezer. So, you cannot sterilize them in boiling water or chuck them in the microwave. Some plastics lose their integrity once specific sterilization methods are employed.
Plastic bottles are not eco-friendly. They can take almost 450 years to decompose and so is not a favorite of eco-conscious parents. The sad thing is even with recycling, most of the plastic material still ends up in landfills.
Pick Up Odors and Taste
Unlike glass bottles, plastic baby bottles tend to absorb flavors and odors with time. These smells and tastes can impact how your baby sucks from these bottles. Once your plastic bottle starts to pick up smells, you should plan to change it.
Glass Vs. Plastic Baby Bottles
The fact that plastic bottles are cheap and readily available doesn’t make it the right choice for your baby. Find a comparison of these two baby bottle types below.
Best Baby Bottles Today
Now that you know the merits and demerits of plastic and glass bottles, it is finally time to select one. As a rule, you should choose baby bottles that connect directly to your breast pumps as they limit milk transferring. It is easy as ABC but getting a bottle that your little one loves and supports their nursing is quite the task.
We have listed some of our favorite bottles for breastfed babies to ease some burden off your shoulders.
Dr Brown’s narrow glass bottle is designed to provide your baby with a steady flow of milk akin to breastfeeding. Contrary to what you think, the narrow neck design doesn’t impede the flow of milk or formula. The narrow design of the nipple helps your little one latch on easily and smoothens the transition from breastfeeding to bottle-feeding.
Another unique feature about Dr. Brown’s bottle is its internal vent that allows air escape. The vent helps reduce gas build-up in the bottle and minimize discomfort during breastfeeding. Thanks to the quality of glass used in making Dr. Brown bottles, they can withstand boiling and freezing.
- Made of borosilicate glass so they can withstand freezing and boiling
- Safe for dishwasher and sterilizer
- Come with an inbuilt vent to let out air
- Glass is sturdy and durable
- It can be used with an anti-colic vent system
- It weighs more than plastic baby bottles
- The anti-colic vent involves several parts
- Dr. Browns bottles feature a patented two-piece internal vent system that works unlike any other bottle design.
- As the baby feeds, air is channeled from the nipple collar through the vent system, bypassing the breastmilk or formula, to the back of the bottle.
- Air never mixes with the breastmilk or formula which minimizes oxidation and helps maintain essential nutrients like vitamins C, A and E.
- 4 oz. Standard Polypropylene Bottle with Level 1 nipple, 3 pack, INDIVIDUALLY PACKAGED
The Comotomo baby bottle is coated with BPA-free silicone that makes it soft for the baby to hold on to. The silicone also means that the bottle is super durable. This bottle stands out because of its wide nipple that looks just like a human nipple. The design helps prevent nipple confusion.
Another reason we love this bottle is that it comes with two inbuilt nipple vents that expel the excess gas. Thus, your baby feeds without the discomfort of gas. Parents that have used this bottle testify that it is easy to clean and their baby’s nurse happily with it.
- BPA free
- Dishwasher and microwave safe
- The nipple has extra vents to expel oxygen
- Designed to remove the risk of nipple confusion
- Extra-wide base designs makes cleaning this bottle a breeze
- It is pricey; it costs almost $20
- The wider bottle design makes it easier to fit into the traditional bottle holder slots
- It comes in limited color options
- Comotomo baby bottles are deisgned to most closely mimic breastfeeding to reduce bottle rejection
- Ultra wide neck design allows easy cleaning by hand without a brush
- Safe in microwave, boiling water, dishwashers and sterilizers. The 5oz bottle comes with a slow flow nipple suitable for newborns up to 3 months
- Nipple and body is made of 100 percent safe hygienic medical grade silicone
- Dual anti colic vents prevent unwanted air intake and reduce colic. Maximum temperature for bottle- 180 degree celsius
If you plan to get more than one feeding bottle for your baby, then check out the Phillips Avent Natural Baby Bottle. Avent Natural bottle comes in a set of four different sizes to match your child’s changing needs. The bottle comes with a natural-looking nipple to reduce the chance of nipple confusion; little wonder it is a firm favorite.
If the nipple design does not convince you to get this baby bottle, then the affordable price should. Add that to the fact that it comes fitted with an anti-colic valve to remove unwanted gas and help keep your baby from fussing. The wide bottom promotes easy latching and makes cleaning the bottle less of a chore.
- It comes in four sizes (2”, 4”, 9”, and 11”)
- Each package contains two different glass bottles for feeding
- Suitable for use with the Avent and Spectra breast pumps
- Glass or polypropylene options
- It is expensive (priced at $52)
- The wide base may not fit in bottle warmers or holders
- There are fewer size options available with glass bottles
- Natural baby bottle with Natural Response nipple: Baby controls the pace, just like breastfeeding
- Designed with a unique opening and tip which only releases milk when baby actively drinks; When pausing to swallow and breathe no milk flows from the bottle, just like at the breast
- Our baby bottles make it easy to combine breast and bottle feeding with a wide breast-shaped nipple that has a soft feel that mimics the shape and feel of a breast and baby can control the flow of milk
- No-drip nipple design helps prevent lost milk from the tip of the baby bottle, giving you peace of mind
- Anti-colic valve is designed to reduce colic and discomfort by sending air away from your baby’s tummy
Buying bottles here and there may not look like much, but the cost adds up with time. Tommy Tippee Closer to Nature Fiesta bottle is a firm favorite because it is budget-friendly. It comes in a pack of 6 brightly colored bottles that are easy to clean.
The bottles all have silicon nipples that look like mom’s nipple and are 100% BPA-free. The fiesta pack adds color and pomp to feeding time. You will find this baby bottle easy to hold and use.
- It is BPA and PVC free
- It comes in a pack of six attractive bottles
- The bottles all have measurement markings on them to help you out
- It is affordable; you can get the pack for $30
- A wide base makes cleaning easier
- It is dishwasher friendly and can be sterilized in hot water
- You don’t get to choose the color combo you want
- A collection of six brightly-colored Closer to Nature Baby Bottles
- Breast-like nipple shape for an easy and natural latch
- Slow Flow Nipple flexes like mom for a comfortable feed, smooth silicone nipple feels closer to skin
- Optimum venting anti-colic valve in slow flow nipple for less air intake and less discomfort for baby
- Comfortable hold design and accurate measurement markings on bottle
If your baby is having a hard time transitioning to bottle feeding, then you should try out the MAM Easy Start Anti-Colic Baby Bottle. It is designed to soothe babies with reflux which every parent knows is no joke. The patented wide base helps let out air bubbles so that it doesn’t get sucked into your child’s stomach and cause a great deal of discomfort.
The soft silicone orthodontic nipple provides your child with the best bottle feeding experience possible. MAM anti-colic bottle is an excellent buy because it comes in a set of two 5-ounce bottles and two 9-ounce bottles suitable for newborns and toddlers.
- A pack contains four bottles and two pacifiers
- Self-sterilizing in the microwave
- It comes in various sizes and nipple flow rates
- Soft silicone is easy for babies to latch on
- Designed with a venting system to reduce colic in babies
- Cost only $18
- Multiple parts to clean
- Four bottles and two pacifiers may be a lot to experiment with
- ANTI-COLIC – Our vented base design releases liquid slowly, reducing colic symptoms in 80%* of babies by eliminating bubbles that cause gas and aggravate colic & reflux symptoms.
- BREASTFED BABIES – The elongated nipple shape of our anti colic baby bottles feels just like mom so parents and newborns can easily switch between breastfeeding and bottle feeding.
- EASY CLEAN – No need for a separate bottle sterilizer: MAM bottles self-sterilize in the microwave in 3 minutes, meaning fewer baby items to take on the go.
- BPS/BPA FREE – All MAM anti-colic bottles are 100% BPS and BPA free, guaranteeing peace of mind for parents and a safe start in life for your newborn.
- PRODUCT DETAILS – MAM Easy Start Anti Colic Baby Bottles, 9 oz (4-Pack), 4 Baby Bottles with 4 Medium Flow Silicone Nipples, Newborn Essentials, Girl and Unisex
A pack of Medela Milk bottles contains three different bottles of different sizes. Each bottle is designed to be compatible with a breast pump so that you don’t have to stress about transferring the milk from one container to the other. The bottles are BPA-free and have slow-flowing nipples suitable for babies between 4-12 months.
With this bottle, all you need to do is pump milk directly into the bottle and feed the baby. Alternatively, you can chuck the bottle into the freezer and defrost it in hot water at feeding time. Although these bottles lack the wide base common to other bottles, parents report that their children had no issues drinking from them.
- It cuts down on cleaning time
- It comes in a pack of two bottles of different sizes
- Each bottle comes with a slow-flowing nipple to make feeding easier
- Dishwasher and heat friendly
- Made from BPA free plastic
- Bottles come with measurement lines to help you know how much your baby is eating
- Limited color options
- Medela is the #1 Physician Recommended Breastmilk Storage Product in the U.S*
- Compatible with all Medela breast pumps, so you can pump, store and feed with one container
- Screw on lid for leak-proof storage, travel and freezing
- Dishwasher and microwave safe
- Includes (3) each of bottles, wide based medium-flow nipples, collars, solid lids and caps. Bonus! Includes one Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bag for daily disinfecting of bottles and accessories.
Nanobebe breast milk bottle is perfect for preemies for many reasons. The first is because it has a nipple option specially designed for preemies. Another is that the bottle is designed to feel like the natural breasts so that with time, the babies can transition quickly. You can use this bottle with a breast pump while you wait for when the baby can nurse at your breast.
Nanobebe milk bottle brags of 2x faster warming to ensure your baby’s immediate needs are met. The bottle also cools twice as fast, ensuring that bacterial has no opportunity to grow. With the slow flow rate and anti-cholic vent, you can conveniently feed your baby with a reduced risk of reflux.
- Ani-colic vent system
- Narrow silicone nipple designed for preemies
- Slow flow rate ensures your baby sucks comfortably
- Intuitive bottle design helps baby transition from bottle-feeding to breastfeeding and back
- Fast cooling and warming system to reduce bacterial growth and satisfy hunger
- BPA, lead, phthalate, and PVC free
- Limited color options
- BREASTFEEDING BOTTLE: Baby instinctively connects to the bottle’s familiar shape, while 2x faster warming satisfies baby’s immediate hunger needs. Our award-winning baby bottles for breastfed babies encourage a smooth transition from breast to bottle (and back).
- NUTRIENTS PROTECTION: A breastmilk storage bottle that cools 2xs faster to reduce bacterial growth. Even warming prevents hot spots & Quick warming allows to use safe temperatures.
- ALL-IN-ONE FEEDING BOTTLE: The included breast pump adaptor means you can conveniently pump directly into your bottle, seal for perfect breast milk storage, warm, and feed all from one baby bottle. Easy to clean and assemble.
- ANTI-COLIC BOTTLE: Slow flow 360 degree double vented system prevents colic and baby gas. Optimal for a breastfeeding newborn.
- BPA, PVC, LEAD and PHTHALATE FREE
The Evenflo feeding balance bottle clinches a spot on our list with its easy-to-latch design. Its gradual sloped nipple is perfect for babies to wrap their mouth around and pull on. The nipple is also designed with a slow flow that allows the baby to get a steady milk stream, just like breastfeeding.
The BPA-free bottle has a patented in-built venting system that removes excess air and gas from the bottle so that the baby doesn’t suffer reflux. The six-ounce bottle is excellent for babies that don’t consume more than 5 ounces of milk at feeding time. The bottle is compatible with a breast pump, so you don’t need to stress yourself.
- It comes with a patented built-in vent to prevent colic
- The 6-ounce bottle is perfect for newborns
- Breast pump compatible
- Can withstand the low temperatures of the freezer without shattering
- It is BPA free and easy to clean
- Dishwasher friendly
- The bottle has only one valve
- Not compatible with Spectra pump
- Balance + Wide Neck Bottle supports healthy bottle-feeding and latch
- Balance + Pacifier promotes tongue cupping, mimicking baby’s tongue while breastfeeding
- Teether features a durable, 1-piece design and multiple teething surfaces that help massage gums
- Soft-Flo Trainer Cup helps promote a smooth transition to a cup that is easy to assemble and clean
- 100% free of BPA, polycarbonates, PVC and phthalates
What to Look Out for When Picking Glass Baby Bottles
Before choosing glass baby bottles, there are some things to consider. Top on the list is the quality of the bottle; for that, we recommend sticking with brands you can trust. Questions to consider include:
- How heavy is the bottle?
- Is it durable?
- Does it break easily?
- Can it withstand extreme temperatures?
- Does it come in different sizes to match your baby’s changing needs?
- Does it have anti-slip features?
- How well does it fit in your hand?
Bonus Tip: How to Select the Best Baby Bottle
1. Nipple Design
When choosing a bottle for your breastfed baby, it is essential to consider the nipple flow. Bottles with slow-flow bottles work best for breastfed babies since they mimic the natural flow of breast milk. However, some wide nipple bottles work well for breastfed babies. Choose a bottle with a narrow neck and a soft nipple that allows slow milk flow into the baby’s mouth.
Great baby bottles are made from either plastic or glass and are made from food-grade materials. For ease, select a lightweight bottle that your baby can hold up easily. Ensure the bottle is BPA-free and has none of the harmful chemical components common in bottles today. If you choose to opt for a glass baby bottle, make sure it is shatter-resistant.
3. Compatibility with Breast Pump
For ease, select a baby bottle that you can connect to your breast pump so that you don’t need to worry about transferring the milk or formula from one to the other. Today, most glass bottles are compatible with breast pumps and can be stored in the freezer to preserve the extracted milk.
You will need to select a bottle made from high-quality material and durable. That way, you can enjoy your money’s worth before ditching the bottle. If you select a premium glass baby bottle, you can use it for your baby and pass it off to the next nursing mother at the end.
5. Bottle Size
Just like clothes, baby bottles come in different sizes. So, it is vital to choose a baby bottle suitable for your baby’s age. Another option is to choose bottles that come in different sizes to save cost.
Of course, nothing good comes cheap. Thus, you may need to shell out some extra money to get a great baby bottle. You can go for affordable baby bottles within your budget range. Remember, sometimes, the price has no bearing on an item’s quality, so look for a good deal.
Over the years, the quality of baby bottles has improved. Most plastic bottles are now made from BPA-free materials, while glass bottles are more durable. There are several advantages for each type of baby bottle and disadvantages; read through the article and make your peace. We have highlighted some of the best baby bottles; choose one today.