Finally, you get to hold your baby in your arms, your very own flesh and blood. Joy aside, there are a lot of decisions that come with having a baby. One such question is whether to buy a rocker or a glider.
We will do our best to teach you all about gliders or rockers and answer the question of which is best for new moms. Furthermore, you will also find a list of our favorite rockers and gliders in this article.
Gliders and Rockers Explained
Rockers and gliders may look the same; however, there are subtle differences between them. For one, rockers move in a back and forth motion, their legs swaying intensely. Gliders move smoothly upon a fixed track in a to and fro motion.
Rockers provide you with more intense motion ranges that you can easily control while gliders off your baby a smooth ride. Sp, let’s take a closer look at rockers and gliders to find out which works best for you.
1. What are Baby Rockers?
As they are fondly called, rockers or rocking chairs are classic tools for getting your baby to settle down. So, over the years, rockers have evolved in terms of the style, design, and materials used; however, they retain their primary function. Rockers come in various colors and designs that can transform your nursery.
You can choose the classic wooden rocking chair or choose something more modern to suit your needs better. Your choice should also be dependent on comfort since your baby will almost always be in the chair.
Pros and Cons of Rockers
Rockers provide you with a comfortable place to snuggle your baby or rock him to sleep. However, as with everything, there are pros and cons.
· Wide Range of Motion Options
Rocker allows for intense swaying motion that babies find comforting. Since it is free-moving, you get to decide how small or big the motions are.
· Classic Look
So, let’s face it; there is something classy about having a rocker in your nursery. If you are looking to spice up your nursery, then a rocker is an excellent choice.
· Large Footprint
Rockers are large and require enough space to complete each swaying motion. There are smaller rockers available today; however, we advise you to overlook rockers if you lack room space.
The rocker poses a safety concern as your baby gets older, especially when he starts to crawl around. Keep in mind, you wouldn’t want him getting crushed under the rocker.
2. What are Gliders?
Gliders also provide you with a great place to snuggle your baby and nurse him to sleep. They also move back and forth but in a smooth, less aggressive motion. The movements are along a fixed track. Most gliders come with an ottoman that can glide along with the chair so that you can relax and stretch your feet.
Gliders also come in different styles and colors, ranging from tame and basic to extra plush. As with rockers, you need enough space to cater to the back and forth movements of the glider. If your nursery is small, you can opt for the smaller models.
Pros and Cons of Gliders
There are quite some pros and cons associated with buying a glider. Let’s look at some of them.
Gliders prioritize your comfort and that of your baby. Some of them come with matching ottomans for you to prop your feet on while you nurse your baby. In addition, the noiseless back and forth motions help soothe your baby and send him to sleep.
As they grow older, you can snuggle your child and read out a bedtime story. Gliders help you create memorable moments.
· Smooth Motion
Gliders move along a fixed track; hence, they off your baby a smooth movement. The best part is that the motion is noiseless.
Comfortable gliders are beautifully upholstered and come with an ottoman so that you can stretch out your feet and relax. Any opportunities new moms get to rest is always welcome.
Gliders often come with a locking mechanism to prevent your little one’s hands from getting stuck in them. They also come with different options to recline, swivel or fix at a point. So you see, they make for versatile furniture.
· Small Footprint
Unlike rockers, gliders have smaller footprints thanks to their limited angle of motion. Thus, they are suitable for smaller rooms.
· Squished Fingers
Your fingers can get caught in the gliding mechanism. For this reason, gliders are not advised for curious toddlers except with strict supervision. The alternative is to get a glider with a locking mechanism to reduce the risk of injury.
· Limited Motion
Unlike rocker that generates intense motion, gliders are limited in their motion intensity. This is because they move along a fixed track.
To answer the question, there is no right or wrong answer when choosing a rocker for your newborn baby. Your decision should depend on your needs, budgets, style, and available space in the nursery. The great thing is that if you select a high-quality rocker or glider, you can still enjoy it long after your baby stops sucking. You can pass it on to another new mom or even sell it on declutter sites for a fair price.
Gliders or Rockers for Newborns
While gliders and rockers offer your baby the same benefit, there are slight differences in their operation. Let us compare rockers and gliders below.
Moves along a fixed track
Can come with an ottoman
Allows for reclining
Poses a danger to curious toddlers
Some come with a lock mechanism
Smooth, noiseless motions
Produce intense movements
Doesn’t swing along a fixed track
Doesn’t come with ottoman
No option for reclining
No danger to toddlers
No need for lock mechanism
Intense, noisy motions
How Long Can You Use Gliders or Rockers?
Regardless of which option you choose, you can start using them when your baby is born. They are great for when your baby starts crying at night and you need to breastfeed in the middle of the night.
The chances are that you will use it for the first six months but then slowly stop as your baby starts to sleep for more extended periods. The good news is that even after you wean your baby off the rocker or glider, you can still reuse it for your next baby. Thus, there is no reason to buy more than one, especially if you have a high-quality rocker or glider.
8 Quality Nursery Gliders or Rockers for Newborns
Here are our top eight rockers and gliders for newborn babies.
Storkcraft premium glider comes with an ottoman to give you all the comfort you deserve. The padded seating area is generous enough for you to feel at home. Add that to the gentle gliding motion that soothes your baby and sends him to sleep, and you have a winner.
We love the fact that the arms of the glider are fully padded and come with a storage pocket where you can keep all the essentials. You can choose from a range of exotic colors and designs, the one that best suits the theme of your nursery.
- Has a dimension of 25.5 x 21.5 x 38.5 inches
- Weighs 45 pounds
- Excellent customer service
- Very easy to assemble and clean
- It is budget-friendly
- It also comes with an ottoman and is fully padded
- Smooth and noiseless gliding motions
- Some people complain about the parts being misaligned
- The chair is very low and thus hard to get out of
- 6-in-1 convertible high chair adjusts to your growing child’s needs
- Innovative infant high chair design allows you to seat 2 children simultaneously
- 6 height positions and 3 recline levels to allow the high chair to adjust for easy feedings
- One-hand removable tray with dishwasher-safe, pull-out insert
- Removable seat back insert helps position your growing child at the table
Graco Sterling Glider offers you premium comfort with its glider and ottoman combination. The upholstered ottoman comes with a pull-out footrest where you can rest your foot while you breastfeed.
This glider itself is made with polyester upholstery that is easy to clean, making it perfect for any nursery. The gliding motion of both the glider and ottoman are smooth and work in a synchronized motion. It measures approximately 33.12 x 26.75 x 40.75 inches and weighs 32.3 pounds.
- Affordable glider with great value
- Easy to assemble
- It also fits perfectly in any nursery and is comfortable
- For that price, it is not so durable
- It can also be very noisy
- Elevate your nursery’s decor & give legs a spot to rest with the Sterling Semi-Upholstered Glider & Nursing Ottoman. Plush arms, back & ottoman top are soft & designed for premium comfort. Pull-out nursing stool folds away for safe storage & versatility
- DURABLE & COMFORTABLE: The ottoman & glider both have a smooth gliding motion to work in tandem for a synchronized glide. The ottoman features a pull-out/fold-under nursing stool that allows you to comfortably rest your feet during late night feedings.
- EASY CLEAN: The comfortable, polyester upholstery of our glider and ottoman set is spot cleanable, so you can keep your nursery looking fresh, clean and comfortable for you and your baby or infant. It’s the ideal rocking chair for any stage of maternity.
- COMPLETE BEDROOM SOLUTION: Storkcraft manufactures products for the total infant, kid’s, or teen bedroom solution, including changing tables, dressers, glider rocker chairs, mattresses, beds, and bunk beds from brands like Graco, Thomasville, or Broyhill.
Nordic style rocker is an excellent blend of the modern and traditional rocking chair. It has a solid wooden frame covered with breathable cotton and linen. Thus, this chair is both firm and durable; what’s more; it looks elegant.
The Nordic style rocking chair looks great in almost any room in your house, not just the nursery. It has dimensions of 33 x 26 x 31 inches and comes in a range of colors that fit any theme or color in your nursery. Let’s look at the pros and cons of this rocker.
- It is exceptionally well made and fashionable
- Comes in a breathable linen
- It is also very durable
- Ergonomic design
- It comes with an unrealistic price tag that makes it unattractive for most parents
- Some people find the seat too low
- Modern comfortable relax rocking chair lounge chair.
- Stable frame made of birch wood with varnished coating.
- Cover with zip, removable and washable.
- Dimensions: See picture. Weight: 10kg. Load capacity: 120kg.
- It comes in a flat pack. Self-assembly required. Detailed instructions included. Do not ship to the Channel Islands.
The Baby Relax Hadley Double Rocker Chair offers fun double the regular rocking chair. You get to spend quality time with your little one whilst still enjoying much-needed comfort. Trust us; this rocker is the perfect place to curl up with your ward while you read some bedtime stories.
Baby Relax Hadley rocker is made from sturdy wood that can stand the test of time. The upholstery is a two-toned fabric that gives the chair an upscale look and complements your nursery décor. The seat is thickly padded and also looks plush and comfortable.
- It is bigger than the standard rockers
- Enough space for you to stretch your aching body out
- It also moves in smooth rocking motions
- Perfect for those expecting twins or families with multiple kids
- The seat is also comfy and thickly padded
- It is also durable and fashionable
- It weighs around 70 pounds and has dimensions of 36.5 x 40.5 x 36.5 inches
- Requires more room space than the average baby rocker
- Clean lines for a contemporary styling and sturdy construction.
- One and a half times as wide as a regular rocker to provide you and your child complete comfort.
- Features two-toned contrasting welting and espresso colored rocker feet.
- Minimal assembly required. Available in multiple color options. 1-year limited warranty.
- Product dimensions: 40.5″L x 36.5″W x 36.5″H. Seat dimensions: 32.5″W x 22.5″D. Weight limit: 225 lbs. Net weight: 70.5 lbs. Shipping dimensions: 55.75″L x 35″W x 17.25″H. Gross weight: 82.76 lbs.
Yes, the Nurture and Glider costs more than your average nursery glider, and it is easy to see why. It comes with unique features that make you want to settle into it and never get up. It has an electric-powered recliner that features an adjustable headset. Another unique thing about this glider is that it is made from a stain-resistant fabric, meaning you don’t have to worry about the inevitable spills.
As a bonus, you get to charge your phone while you breastfeed your young one, courtesy of the USB charging port on one side of the chair. That way, you can flip through your phone without worrying about it dying. Let’s not forget the classy chair design that will remain in style for years to come.
- Made from 100% safe stain-resistant fabric
- It weighs 112.5 pounds and measures 33.3 x 38.2 x 42.1 inches
- This glider is stylish and features a USB port on one side
- It also moves in a smooth, noiseless, gliding motion
- It has an electric recliner and an adjustable headset for premium
- At $985, it is more expensive than other gliders
- MADE FROM REAL PARENTS FEEDBACK: Interviewed hundreds of parents to come up with the ultimate nursery glider for your growing family. Ergonomically designed with modern parents in mind with life-proof fabrics for the best (and messiest) shared moments and little or no assembly.
- POWER RECLINER & ADJUSTABLE HEADREST: Get into the perfect position with just the touch of a few buttons. Parents can adjust back, legs and headrest to ensure they are finding a comfortable position for both themselves and their baby. Only nursery glider with power headrest functionality.
- SMOOTH GLIDE: The Glider’s gentle movements back and forth allow you to gently calm your baby, helping relax them to sleep. An essential for all those late nights.
- NON-TOXIC MATERIALS: Safe for baby. Free of harmful chemicals (Prop 65 compliant), Meets flammability requirements and free of chemical flame retardants (TB117-2013 and UFAC (fabric) compliant) and meets EPA formaldehyde standards (TSCA Title VI compliant)
- SPILL-PROOF FABRIC & SUPERIOR CONSTRUCTION: Stain resistant and liquid repellent Live-Smart️ materials. Built with a birchwood and poplar plywood frame and offers extra padded cushions and a warranty on all moving parts, ensuring that the Glider stands the test of time and can grow with your family.
Monte Luca Glider is one of the best nursery gliders on the market today. It is handcrafted from high-quality materials sourced from Canada. This nursing chair offers you serious comfort and support.
We love that this chair has an ergonomic height, weight and arm height. The cushions are also removable so that you can wash them easily. Thankfully, all of the cushions are machine washable, so you can easily clean them up. The design also is practical yet fancy.
- It comes with a headrest and detachable cushions
- Cushions are machine washable
- The chair is not so low so that you can get up easily
- Cushions also come in different colors
- Narrow chair size makes it suitable for smaller room spaces
- It costs a whopping $1295
- Luca Glider – modern glider chair for your baby nursery or home
- Handcrafted and sustainably made in Canada using the highest quality materials
- Includes lumbar pillow (for lumbar, neck, or elbow support)
- Dark espresso solid wood base
- Exceptionally smooth gliding motion
Nursery Works Sleepytime Rocker is perfect for parents who want all the benefits of a baby rocker but don’t like the traditional look. This rocker is stylish, durable and absolutely comfortable. The best part is that the seat though comfy is firm as a rock.
The rocker comes in 9 different upholstery options for you to choose from. It looks just as great in the living room as in the nursery. So, grab one for yourself and enjoy all the comfort it provides.
- It is super comfortable
- Hand upholstered stylish furniture
- It comes in nine gorgeous style options
- It is also durable and comes with a firm seat
- This rocker Greenguard Gold Certified
- It comes with a removable lumbar pillow for added comfort
- It cost almost $500
- Limited quantities available
- MODERN ROCKER: Sleepytime is a refreshingly modern take on the traditional rocking chair with a structured, padded square back design that sits upon elegantly curved walnut-stained ash hardwood legs; Removable lumbar pillow included for comfort
- HAND UPHOLSTERED: Constructed and upholstered by hand. Easy setup with no tools required
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: This rocker has undergone rigorous scientific testing for over 10,000 chemical emissions and VOCs; It contributes to cleaner indoor air, creating a healthier environment in your home
- BREATHE EASY: Foam used in the seat meets all CA TB117-2013 flammability requirements and is CertiPUR-US certified, certifying the foam is made without PBDE or Tris flame retardants, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and CFCs
- FSC CERTIFIED WOOD: Wood used in the frame of this product comes from well-managed, FSC-certified forests; The FSC label means that wood has been harvested to benefit communities, wildlife, and the environment
The Davinci Oliver Swivel Glider has a critical yet often overlooked high seat back. The back of the seat is high enough so that you can lean your head back on without any of the neck pain. It also comes with a pillow to support your lumbar; if that’s not great, then I don’t know what is. So, let’s take a second to acknowledge the swivel function that is smooth as hell and goes 360 degrees.
Another essential feature is that this glider comes complete with an ottoman for you to rest your feet while you breastfeed your little one. For $330, you get comfortable space to snuggle your baby and relax long after the days of late-night feeding are passed.
- It is comfortable
- Therefore, made from the finest wood
- Has a Greenguard Gold certificate showing it is safe for your baby
- It has a comfortable headrest
- Gentle 360 swivel with comforting motions
- It also comes with an ottoman and lumbar pillow
- Costs $330
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: This product has undergone rigorous scientific testing for over 10,000 chemical emissions and VOCs. It contributes to cleaner indoor air, creating a healthier environment for your baby to sleep, play, and grow.
- DESIGNED FOR PARENT AND BABY: Metal base that allows for a smooth and gentle 360 degree swivel motion and forward and backward gliding so you can be comfortable as you feed or rock your baby to sleep
- COMFORTABLE HEADREST: Being a parent is hard work. High back allows moms and dads to comfortably lean back for some much needed rest.
- INCLUDED OTTOMAN & LUMBAR PILLOW: Bonus lumbar pillow & ottoman included so that you can kick up your feet for ultimate comfort
- FOR YOUR BABY’S SAFETY: Say goodbye to toxic chemicals. Upholstery is free of chemical flame retardants. Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers (PBDEs) and Formaldehyde free. Meets all CA TB117-2013 flammability requirements.
Bonus Tip: How to Pick Out the Best Nursery Gliders or Rockers
Setting up a baby’s room is anything but cheap. However, splurging on rockers or gliders make soothing your baby easy, and what’s more, you get to enjoy the comfort too. Before you go shopping for a nursery rocker or glider, there are some things you should know.
First, find essential tips to help you select a rocker or glider that works perfectly for your little one.
1. Supportive Cushioning
The best gliders and rocking chairs for your nurseries have supportive cushioning. The cushioning make them more comfortable to sit in for long periods. So, go for one that comes with a lumbar support pillow that can support you while you breastfeed.
2. Comfortable Yet Firm Seat
You will spend a lot of time in the rocker or glider, so it is wise to pick out one with a comfortable yet firm seat. If the seat is too soft, you will have a tough time getting up from it. Plus, the last thing you want to do after your child finally falls asleep is to struggle to stand and risk waking the baby. So, choose a seat that allows you to get up without waking up your precious one.
3. Extra Room
Whether you’re feeding or soothing your little one, a little more room to move around and get comfy is always appreciated. So, we advise that you try out a couple of rockers and gliders before settling for the most comfortable one. It’s also wise to get a chair with a wider seat and a nursing pillow to be most comfortable when you breastfeed.
Your nursery chair will be with you for a long time, and see its fair share of spills and spit ups. Thus, you must go for a durable chair with woven fabric that is durable and easy to clean. If possible, go for one that is machine-washable. You can go also for darker colors to camouflage the spills and stains easily.
5. Locking Mechanism
If you want a glider, select one with a locking mechanism to prevent the chair from moving. It is also very convenient when trying to get your sleepy self out of the chair. So, the locking mechanism is a great way to keep your curious toddler safe.
6. Additional Features
Many nursery rockers and gliders come with bonus features that sweeten the deal. Some gliders have an ottoman for you to prop your feet and plush padding to give you maximum comfort while you soothe your baby.
You can go for gliders with a 360-degree swivel or one with a back recline, or even a footrest. These days, you can find chairs with USB ports so that you can cuddle your baby and still charge your device.
Get a quality rocker or glider that you can get good mileage out of. Ensure it comes with a warranty and check the coverage. Warranty aside, you still need to ask yourself how the chair will look after five years. Will it remain fit for your child? Or will your child outgrow it soon?
You don’t want to pay so much money on the nursery chair and have it fall short of your expectations. So, whatever you do, ensure you get serious value for your money. Remember that buying a rocker or glider is a serious investment so treat it as such.
Rockers and gliders both provide you with a comfortable space to snuggle and breastfeed your baby. Some come with extra features that make those late-night feeding even more comfortable. We advise that you go through our list and select an option that works best for you. We hope this helps, parents, and good luck with your search!