Teething is one developmental stage that has every parent at their wit’s end. Trust me, having to watch your baby cry, fuss, and wince in discomfort is challenging, especially as there is nothing you can do to wish the pain away. However, great teethers help make this period a little easier on your little one.
We have rounded up some of the best baby teethers out there on Amazon that can help soothe your little ones’ sore gums. The best part is that these teethers won’t cost you an arm and a leg and are perfectly safe for your mini-me. First, let’s look at the different types of teethers available.
Types of Baby Teethers
Before we delve into the top baby teethers in the market today, let’s take a look at the different types.
Staged teethers cater to your baby’s needs throughout the teething journey. It usually comes in a pack of 3-5 different toys, each suitable for each teething stage. They make great investments into your children’s life as you don’t need to buy new ones as your baby progresses.
Novelty baby teethers are essentially the good old teeth toys we all know. However, they come in different exciting shapes and sizes. A classic example of this is the banana-shaped teether with bristles! Exciting, I know. Novelty teethers can be made to look like just about anything, adding to the spice.
Rubber Based Teethers
Natural rubber-based teethers are safe for your kids to bite on. In addition, they are chewy and durable. Many manufacturers make these teethers in a range of exciting shapes and colors.
Some mothers swear by water-filled teethers, saying that they are easier for the child to bite on. These water-based teethers are great for babies and are highly effective for relieving the discomfort of the aching gums.
Gel Based Baby Teethers
Instead of water, some baby teethers are filled with gel and are easy for the baby to bite on. However, concerns have been raised on the possible hazards these gel teethers pose, especially when the baby’s teeth cut through the teether.
Plastic Based Baby Teethers
For years now, plastic teethers have made the rounds. They come in various shapes and sizes. However, be sure to pick up the PVC and BPA-free ones to ensure you don’t introduce detrimental chemicals to your baby’s gums.
11 Great Baby Teethers to Try Out
Less talk, more action; let’s look at 11 different chewy teethers.
Try any one of these chewy teethers to help relieve your baby’s achy gums.
Itzy Ritzy Silicone Baby Teether is BPA-free, so you don’t have to worry about your child munching on chemicals and the possible long-term side effects. BPA aside, this teether also comes in an infant-friendly design that allows your kid to grip it with ease. Let’s not forget the textured backside that Itzy Ritzy teether features, which is perfect for massaging and soothing your little one’s tender and swollen gums.
- Itzy Ritzy silicone teething mitts provide relief to emerging teeth and massage sore gums; they are made of food grade silicone and are non-toxic and free of BPA and PVC
- Our teething mitts feature textured silicone that is soothing on sore, swollen gums – they also include a crinkle sound that stimulates baby and keeps him or her entertained
- An adjustable strap ensures a secure fit and helps the mitt stay in place – perfect for babies who can’t yet hold a teether!
- Teething mitts also keep baby safe from scratches on the face
- Teething mitts are machine washable; machine wash on cold or hand wash and air dry
- It comes in a range of fun shapes that are easy for your baby to hold
- It is affordable (costs less than $10) and is easy to clean
- Made with non-toxic food-grade material and is BPA-free
- Great for soothing sore gums
- It weighs 2.75 ounces
Vulli Sophie La Giraffe Teether is made from 100% natural rubber that is BPA-free, Latex-free, and Lead-free, making it absolutely safe for your teething baby. The giraffe is very flexible and chewable; the best part is that it soothes your child’s gum. My favorite thing about this teether is the discoveries that it holds, from the smell to the visually stimulating spots and squeaks.
- Sophie la giraffe, the most beloved teether for over 55 years
- Made of 100% natural rubber from the Hevea tree
- On each box, there is a QR code to authenticate your Sophie.
- Inside each box, you’ll get: the Sophie story, and a booklet to discover more products
- Sophie’s soft texture and numerous chewable parts (ears, horns, legs), makes her perfect for soothing baby’s sore gums during teething.
- Made from natural rubber
- BPA-free, Lead-free, and Latex-free
- Easy to hold, durable and perfect for soothing those tender gums
- Easy to clean
- It is quite expensive
If you are one of those concerned about the contents of your child’s toy (as you should be), then Calmies Teether is a great choice. It is made from 100% natural rubber and is free from PVC and BPA. For just $13, your child can enjoy the soothing comfort of this teether.
- 100% All Natural Rubber Teether
- Helps Sensory Motor Skills
- Environmentally Sustainable
- Easy for Infants to Grasp – Calming and Fun!
- Safe! No BPA, No PVC, No Parabens, No Phthalates
- Free of BPA, PVC, Parabens, and Phthalates
- It comes in a unique multiple grip design to delight your child to no end
- It is durable and easy to keep clean
- Weighs less than 2 ounces
- Some parents find the natural rubber smell of the teether overpowering when it gets wet
I absolutely adore this teether because of its unique banana shape and the bristles that make it double as a toothbrush. The bristles on the teether help gradually familiarize your child with the new phase of dental hygiene. Let’s not forget that the gentle bristles also help massage your kid’s sore gums and ease their discomfort. Thanks to the sleek banana peel design, your little one will find it easy to hold this teether.
- Start teaching your baby good brushing habits with the Baby Banana Toothbrush! This training toothbrush is designed specifically for infants’ and toddlers’ small, sensitive mouths. Intended to be introduced when babies first begin teething and they instinctively want to stick everything in their mouths. The soft silicone bristles will gently massage sore teething gums when the brush is rubbed against them.
- This easy to hold toothbrush toy is made from a single piece of high quality, food grade silicone. It’s been designed to be highly durable to withstand the rough handling of infants and toddlers. It can be put in the freezer to provide a soothing numbing effect for painful mouths. It is designed to be easily cleaned in the top rack of the dishwasher.
- The Baby Banana has been carefully designed especially for little hands to hold. Its “peels” allow you to attach a binky strap to the brush to prevent it from being dropped. If it does fall on the ground, it’s easy to rinse off and keep chewing. The whole toothbrush measures 4.33″ x 0.39″ x 7.87″, making it perfect as a My First Toothbrush for infants just beginning to teethe.
- The Baby Banana is proudly Made in the USA. It is made from 100% food grade silicone, and is BPA free and phthalate free. The bendable silicone is safe for babies who bite down hard on a toothbrush, or if they should fall while holding the toothbrush, the soft material will prevent oral injuries that could occur with a traditional toothbrush.
- When your baby’s first tooth erupts, you can use a tiny smear of infant safe to swallow toothpaste on the bristles of the Baby Banana Toothbrush. Parents can help the baby to gently brush the tooth both front and back. Toddlers can use up to a pea sized drop of safe to swallow toothpaste, and can start to be taught how to brush their own teeth. Parents should always supervise when baby is learning how to brush their teeth.
- It is made from food-grade silicone and is BPA and Phthalate free
- Baby banana comes in an attractive yellow color
- It helps introduce your child to good brushing habits
- The soft silicone bristles help massage the aching gums
- The banana peel handle makes it easy for your infant to hold this teether
- You can attach a binky strap to the peels to prevent the teether from being dropped
- It is not a sufficient replacement for a baby toothbrush
Baby Elefun Elephant Teether is specially designed to reach the back of your baby’s mouth where the painful molars hide. It sports different textures and bristles that ensure your baby has many options to soothe its sore gums. Apart from the unique shape, the highlight of this elephant teether for us is that it is made from food-grade silicone.
- 5 DIFFERENT TEXTURES AND BRISTLES will stimulate the gums for any baby that loves to chew, while also working as a first stage toothbrush! Your baby will have guaranteed effective teething itch and pain relief and will NOT LOSE INTEREST in this innovative baby teething toy for a long time! This unique design allows the baby teether to reach the lips, tongue, cheeks and even molars! The gentle gum massage stimulates the muscles inside the mouth, improving the oral motor skills needed for talking.
- PERFECT SIZE AND EZ GRIP DESIGN FOR LITTLE HANDS – The lightweight easy-grip Elephant Teething Toy is shaped ideally for your baby’s small hand, which means it is very easy to hold and chew. And that your baby will comfortably chew it for a long time NEVER LOSING GRIP. The unique hollow design develops improved hand-eye coordination, while also soothing the baby!
- EASY TO HOLD AND INTERESTING TO CHEW – the innovative shape, soft gummy texture and flexible design are made to keep the baby busy and happy with this silicone teether much longer than other teething toys, so that a new mom can catch up on some much-needed rest and relaxation! It’s a must have for all babies, and it will quickly become their favorite teething toy. So be sure to get one for home and one for the diaper bag! Works great and loved by boys and girls!
- 100% FOOD GRADE AND EASY TO CLEAN – Free of BPA, PVC, Phthalates, Cadmium, Lead and any other heavy metals for your baby’s ultimate safety and health! Silicone design is 100% Food Grade, Safe for Infants, and is simple to wash in the dishwasher or in warm soapy water. It’s also tough enough to be boiled, microwave sanitized, or disinfected in a UV or steam sterilizer. Can be CHILLED IN THE FRIDGE or freezer safely for extra numbing relief.
- SAFE AND RELIABLE – You baby won’t hurt themselves, because it’s super soft and exactly the right size and shape so babies can’t gag or choke themselves. Suitable for 0+ age, with no parts to break off and zero choking hazard. Contains no liquids or gels that could erupt or leak. This baby teething pacifier is an IDEAL GIFT for a BABY SHOWER!
- Five different textures and bristle types to give your baby’s sore gums maximum comfort
- Made from 100% food-grade silicone and is BPA free
- The ample open space at the center makes it easy to hold
- It is the perfect size for your little one and makes for an exciting chew toy
- It is safe for your baby to munch on and poses no choking hazard
- Easy to sanitize and clean
- It costs less than $7
- Some babies are sensitive to the rubber smell, especially when it gets wet
The Comotomo Silicone teether is perfect for babies that love to gnaw and suck on their fingers. It is super affordable and comes with a clip that allows you to attach it to your baby’s stroller so that it doesn’t drop to the ground. One of the attractions of this teether is the perfect baby-sized finger design that is intuitive and easy for your little one to hold on to. Of course, safety is everything when it comes to babies’ toys, so it is great to see that the Comotomo teether is made with 100% food-grade material.
- Perfectly Baby Finger Sized – Babies love to chew on their little fingers (and probably yours too). So we thought, why not copy?
- Intuitive Design – Thoughtfully made to make it easy for your little one to grab and hold.
- Sensible Material – Safety first! Made with durable, high quality, food grade silicone.
- Easy to Clean – Simple one piece design and heat resistant silicone makes cleaning hassle-free.
- It has a simple design that makes it easy to clean
- Made with the most delicate food-grade silicone
- It is super light and weighs less than an ounce
- Comotomo baby teether is affordable and priced below $7
- Some users have complained of the poor durability of the toy
- May pose a potential choking hazard
If you are searching for a cheap baby teether that is BPA, PVC, and Phthalate-free, then Nuby Ice Gel Teether is a great choice. For $4, you can get this cooling teether and provide your baby with an icy relief. Thanks to the key design, this teether can also double as a great toy that arouses your baby’s curiosity and keeps him occupied. Simply plop the teether in the refrigerator, not the freezer, for some minutes and hand it over to your infant for soothing comfort.
- Multi-surface teething makes this teether perfect for assisting in the eruption of front, middle and back teeth
- When place in the refrigerator Nuby’s PurICE technology provides gentle cooling on baby’s gums
- Easy grip design is ideal for little hands and helps with coordination; Dual surfaced teether
- Combines exercise for young hands, gums, and teeth
- Age: 3 months and above; BPA Free
- It comes in bright, fun colors that work wonders for eye coordination
- It is strong, durable, and doesn’t pose a choking hazard
- The coolness soothes your little one’s tender gums
- Nuby Icy Gel Teether Keys is easy to clean and dishwasher safe
- It doesn’t stay cold for long
- The keys are not removable
Lofca Silicone Teething Necklace is perfect for parents on the go with a lot of things on their plates because, let’s be sincere, remembering a teether is not your priority. The fashionable design helps accessorize your look and gives your kid something to chew on all day. Lofca Silicone teether is made from 100% food-grade components, so you won’t have to worry about your child munching on toxins.
- FASHION AND 100% FOOD GRADE SILICONE- It’s a very durable uniquely designed teething necklace that is made of non-toxic tasteless silicone that is safe for baby and a nice piece of jewelry for mom. It frees your hands up while you are holding the baby, and is non toxic and fashionable
- CONVENIENT AND NEVER FALL OFF-It is very convenient for you to just wear this necklace and let your baby chew it while you are carrying baby. At the same time, the necklace stays on your neck securely and it never fall off.
- SOOTHES TEETHING PAIN: Forget about toxic remedies like teething gel and tablets. Soft, chewy beads provide natural pain relief for your baby’s teeth. It can also be frozen or placed in the freezer so your little one can chew on cold beads.
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE LENGTH,SAFE FOR MOM AND BABY -This necklace is adjustable. All you need is to pull the string from the lock opening, cut it with a scissor and make a small knot according to your desired length. And has an easily-pulled apart clasp which ensures that mon won’t get hurt when baby is tugging on the necklace nor will it pull in the hair.
- EASY TO CLEAN-Necklace can be wiped clean with soap and water and is dishwasher top shelf safe – no more worries about nasty germs or dirt
- Lofca Silicone teething necklace is completely safe for your babe (no phthalate, vinyl, BPA, or PVC)
- The soft, chewy beads act as a natural pain relief for your child’s sore gums
- It is cute and doubles as a lovely necklace for you
- It comes in two exciting colors
- Priced at $9 and weighs 0.1 pounds
- The Lofca teether is easy to clean
- It may pose a risk of strangulation for your baby if left unattended
Baby teethers usually come in a single-piece, so finding one that comes in a 5-piece set is pretty impressive, considering it saves you a bit of cash. Although it comes with a pacifier clip, most parents like to get additional clips to ensure that the teether is not constantly being dropped or thrown around. One great thing about the Lideemo fruit teether is that it is made from the finest food grade materials and, as such, is 100% safe for your baby.
- 100% Safety: Each of our teethers are carefully made with Chewable Silicone for the comfort and safety of babies. The materials are BPA-free, Toxin-free, and Dishwasher and Freezer Safe.
- Solve Babies’ Tooth Pain: When babies start to develop then causes soreness and discomfort. Our teething toys gently massage the gums and stimulate teeth growth, then can keep your babies from suffering.
- Unique Designs: Fruit Trees design, peaches, orange, strawberry,pineapple and grapes with pacifier clip. The teething toys like babies’gift, it is perfect for a baby shower.
- Simple to Grip Handle: When Babies teeth start to growth, babies want to pick up objects to their mouths to try to ease any soreness they’re felling. Our teeth toys come with wide handles so it is easy to baby to grip.
- Pacifier Clip: Two-sided thick nylon ribbon helps keep the teethers off the floor and in their hands, our clips are safe for your little baby.
- It has a unique fruit design and comes in a pack of five
- It is made from 100% food-grade components that are BPA and PVC free
- Lideemo 5-Pack Fruit Teether Set comes with a warranty, buttressing the fact that your baby’s safety is a priority
- The teether is soft and chewable, gently massaging your baby’s sore gums
- You can cool it down in the refrigerator for a more soothing experience
- It is cheap, costing less than $10
- The teether set is easy to clean and is washing machine friendly
- It doesn’t stay cold for long after you take it out of the refrigerator
If you are looking for an affordable hands-free teether, then this soft silicone Razbaby Razberry baby teether is a winner for you. It is made from non-toxic food-grade materials that are BPA and PVC-free. The bumps on the teether provide your little one with the perfect texture to soothe its swollen gums.
- SOFT SILICONE: Non-toxic food grade silicone and is free of BPA, PVC, phthalates, lead and cadmium
- BERRYBUMPS: Patented bumps soothe baby’s swollen gums and emerging teeth. Perfect texture to chew
- ORIGINAL: RaZberry Teether is the original hands free teething pacifier for babies
- PERFECTLY SIZED: Perfectly shaped and sized for your little one’s hands. Ages 3 months plus
- MULTI-TEXTURE: Multi Texture Teething surfaces encourage baby teething and grabbing
- It is a unique hands-free teether
- It has an easy to hold design and comes in an exciting light blue color
- Cadmium free, PVC free, Phthalate-free, and BPA free
- The patented bumps work wonders for your baby’s aching gums
- It is the perfect size for babies three months and above
- The Razbaby Razberry Baby Teether is easy to clean and is dishwasher friendly
- It doesn’t taste like raspberries
Looking for a fun teether for your little one? Try out this Manhattan Toy Winkel Rattle & Sensory Teether Toy. It comes in exciting colors that catch your baby’s attention. Thanks to its design, the Winkel encourages clutching and two-handed play. The Winkel is BPA-free and is made from food-grade materials that pose no harm to your little one. Let’s examine the pros and cons of this fascinating baby teether.
- BABY TEETHING TOY MADE FOR LITTLE HANDS: Zoo Winkel Bee has a mesmerizing maze of soft, continuous BPA-free teething tubes, and can be refrigerated for additional soothing comfort – a perfect baby chew toy for tiny hands.
- DEVELOPMENTAL BABY TOY WITH BEE SHAPE: Zoo Winkel features a bee-shaped rattle prominently in the middle, creating a quiet but pleasing auditory stimulus.
- BUILT ON A TIME-HONORED CLASSIC: Our Zoo Winkels follow the success of our Classic and legendary Winkel, a main-staple of new Moms for over 25 years.
- BABY TOY FOR NEWBORNS AND UP: Safety rated for newborns and up, the Zoo Winkel Bee measures 2″D x 6″W x 5″H and easily tucks into the diaper bag when baby is on the go.
- STANDING BY OUR BRAND: If you’re reading this, you’ve found a safe toy from a real company and a brand that cares. Since 1978, Manhattan Toy has been a trusted source of imaginative toys for babies, toddlers and kids of all ages. All of our toys are rigorously safety tested and every toy has our 800 number with a dedicated customer support team to answer your call.
- Manhattan Toy Winkel Rattle & Sensory Teether Toy is 100% safe for your baby
- It is lightweight, and its design encourages two-handed play
- The rings can be cooled down to soothe the tender gums
- It is compact and fits easily into your baby’s diaper bag
- The pleasing rattle from this teether stimulates and engages your baby
- At nearly $15, it is pretty expensive
Bonus: Tips on Picking Out the Best Teether for Your Baby
We have listed some of the best baby teethers out there. But even with the narrowed options, picking out a teether for your baby can be pretty challenging for first-time moms. To help, we have listed out some critical criteria to help narrow down the search.
1. Component Material
No parent wants to hand their child something unsafe for them. Thus, to be on the safe side, stay away from toys made from materials containing BPA, PVC, Vinyl, Parabens, and Phthalates. Choose teethers made from food-grade silicone.
2. Choking Hazards
Avoid teethers and toys that can pose choking hazards. That said, go for durable toys that won’t fall apart after a month. Bear in mind that babies can go hard on the teethers, so go for sturdy materials like silicone, wood, or rubber.
Consider the design of the teether in terms of ease of grip, size, weight, and texture. You don’t want a teether so small that your baby can swallow or choke on it. Similarly, you want to avoid teethers too large your baby cannot chew on them. Go for baby teethers that are easy to grip and have textures to soothe your baby’s tender gums.
You always want to go for a teether that is easy to clean, especially as this teether spends most of its time in your child’s mouth. You already have a lot on your plate, so selecting a toy that takes 365 working days to clean and sterilize won’t do. Go for teethers that are dishwasher safe and sterilized in a microwave.
Price is always a factor when it comes to making purchasing decisions. It doesn’t make sense to break the bank for a baby teether when several other affordable teethers are available. Besides, if you choose to go for a less expensive teether, you can channel the extra cash into getting them various toys.
Frequently Asked Questions on Baby Teethers
Here are common questions parents have asked as regards baby teethers.
· Are Baby Teethers Necessary?
No. The truth is that not all babies need teethers or even take to teethers. However, they can help ease the pain of the sore and itchy gums. Don’t force it if your baby refuses to take a teether. You can use a cold cloth or even breast milk to soothe the gums and provide relief.
· When Should I Give My Baby a Teether?
Usually, you should give your baby a teether once you notice the usual signs of teething. Some babies start teething as early as three months; others begin much later, at 14 months. Telltale signs your baby is trying to cut teeth include crankiness, fever, swollen gums, trying to stuff things into their mouths, etc. Teethers can help soothe their sore and itchy gums.
· Are Teethers Recommended for Babies?
Teethers are recommended for teething babies because they help soothe the baby’s sore gum. Usually, babies use the teether to rub against the painful gums to get some form of relief from the pain and itching.
· Are Baby Teethers Safe?
Baby teethers are generally safe for your child. However, there are vital components to look out for in each baby teether. Stay away from teethers made from materials containing chemicals like BPA, PVC, Phthalate, Paraben, and Vinyl. These enzymes are known as endocrine disruptors.
· Which Baby Teether Should I Buy?
Stick with baby teethers made with 100% food-grade materials like natural plant-based rubber. You will find a list of safe baby teethers above. Remember, great teething toys are durable, free of hard edges, and safe for your child to chew on.
· Can I Freeze My Baby Teether?
The coolness of the baby teether does wonders for your baby’s aching gums. However, it is essential to cool the teether in your refrigerator and not in a freezer. This is because frozen teethers tend to be harder than usual and pose a threat to your baby’s delicate teeth.
· Are Wooden Baby Teethers Safe?
Yes, wooden teethers are safe to give to your baby. In fact, most people prefer them to teethers made from other materials because they are natural and free from the many harmful chemicals that can harm your child. Choose durable wooden teethers made from maple wood and finished with olive oil that does not splinter.
· How Do I Clean the Teether?
An excellent way to start is by filling a bowl with hot water and mild dish soap and soaking the teether in it. Leave the teether in the solution to loosen the dirt, then take it out. Next, place the baby teether in a bowl of warm water and white vinegar for another 15 minutes, then rinse off.
Alternatively, you can use a dishwasher to clean the baby teether and dry it with a clean, lint-free cloth. Yet another way to clean your baby’s teether is to sterilize it in a microwave. However, before you plop the teether into the microwave, check that it is microwave-friendly.
· When Should Babies Stop Using Baby Teethers?
Doctors advise that you put away the teethers once the teeth have broken through the gums to avoid hindering the growth of those milk teeth. The good news is that once those first teeth are out, you can gradually start introducing them to solid food.
There is nothing easy about watching your child in pain as he tries to cut his first set of teeth; truth be told, this period can be pretty brutal. However, with a good teether, both you and your baby can breathe a sigh of relief. Several teethers are available today; some can even massage your baby’s sore gums. Try out some of the teethers on this list today.